I’ve never understand why Toronto allows home to be stacked so closely, sometimes within inches of the other. There needs to be some law passed on that one, seriously
Thank goodness no none was hurt. When I saw how fast the house went up, and all that smoke, it was the first thing I wondered. There was a plumber inside working when the fire broke out, but he was able to get outside without incident.
The cause of the fire isn’t known.
The home had just undergone about $100,000 in renovations over a
six-month period. The family that purchased the home was hoping to move
in within the next few weeks.
A spokesman for the Toronto Fire Department says the home is so badly damaged it will have to be torn down.
150 evacuated after 3-alarm fire in Annex
Firefighters battle a blaze at 145 Bedford Rd. on Sept. 23, 2008. (ERNEST DOROSZUK/Sun Media)
Fire crews are battling a three-alarm blaze at a house under construction in the Annex this afternoon.
Toronto Fire was called to the home in the posh Avenue and Davenport Rds. area around 12:52 p.m.
No one was in the house when the fire broke out, Toronto Police Const. Tony Vella said.
Firefighters fear the blaze may spread and have evacuated approximately 150 people in the area.
"We need to make sure people get out of their houses, we don’t want
anyone to get caught in another fire sparked by this. We don’t need any
victims," District Fire Chief Stephan Powell said.
Check back at torontosun.com for updates.