The protesters are not "anti-Israeli"!! so would the REAL reporters out there stop slapping that label on them. It’s pathetic!!
This group is NOT opposed to Israel, a label that has been slapped on them by folks to justify the purely political censorship imposed.
These well meaning folk are opposed to what to what they perceive as an apartheid being perpetrated against the Palestinians similar to what transpired in South Africa 20 + years ago, which is not even comparable to them being purportedly anti-Israel.
Just like the people who protested against Guantanamo Bay are not anti-American because they do not believe in torture, etc…
Having a dissenting view should not be censored.
I’m not part of the group. To be honest, I could care less, but allowing the City of Toronto dictate to Pride Toronto of all agencies what is palatable to the public and what is not flies in the face of everything that Pride Toronto was created for.
Pride Toronto generates how many dollars in comparison to the pittance the City donates? Administration should have just "cancelled" the party, stating the reasons why. and then stood back and watched the international fall-out ensue, until City Councilors ran back to them, begging them to reconsider and vowing never to interfere again.
You’re very much right (about the "anti-Israeli" label, at least)—I’ve updated the article and appended a correction above.
Agreed. The best thing that could happen to the majority of Israelis would be an exit from the settlements and a normalization of their relationship with Palestine. It’s hardly anti-Israel to promote what would be in the best long term interests of all of the parties in the region.
The best thing that could happen to the majority of Isrealis would be if their neighbours stopped trying to exterminate them just because they’re Jewish.
Way to dumb it down, Colin.
I don’t think it’s dumbing it down at all. People on the left in Canada conveniently ignore that fact that most of the actions Israel takes are done because they are under constant siege and threat from the states around them.
Whether occupying Gaza or the West Bank actually accomplishes this is another story. But the motivation is to protect Israelis from groups who would like to see them obliterated.
Of course you dumbed it down, and now you’re being just as selective about which side of the story you want to tell as you accuse "the left in Canada". You’ve taken an extremely messy issue, which goes back generations and centuries, and reduced it to "because they hate Jews", and turned a willfully blind eye to Israel’s share of the antagonism lobed back and forth over the (real and unrealized) borders of the region.
No, I admitted that the Israelis may not be innocent in this debacle. But nobody arguing the Palestinian point of view is ever willing to concede their role.
Of course, if I were not holding back I’d argue that the entire thing is the fault of organized religion. Which is the cause of more death than anything else humans have created.
Tread carefully here… the issue of Israel vs. Palestine is nearly as contentious as bikes vs. cars.
I’m sorry, but why should we tread carefully.
The last time people stayed silent when a people were being oppressed, 6 million people died in Europe during the Nazi era. During Stalins regime, perhaps 20 million died. In Haiti, countless numbers of political dissenters and their families disappeared overnight, and this type of behaviour is still ongoing all over the world every day!
This has nothing to do per se with the issue of Israel VS Palestine. This has to do with good people standing up when they see injustice, and saying enough is enough!!
WOW WHAT A LITTLE GEM THE CUCUMBER IS,I WILL LOOK AT IT DIFFERENTLY NOW.
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one
cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6
Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and
2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up
a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that
can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.
3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a
cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a
soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a
small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The
chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent
undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the
5 Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to
the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area
for a few minutes, the photochemical in the cucumber cause the collagen in
your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility
of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!
6.. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices
before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers
contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential
nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a
hangover and headache!!
7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers
have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders
and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don’t
have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the
shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only
looks great but also repels water.
9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and
rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!
10. Stressed out and don’t have time for massage, facial or visit to the
spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the
chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber with react with the boiling water
and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has
been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during
11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don’t have gum or mints?
Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your
tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill
the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
12. Looking for a ‘green’ way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless
steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean,
not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is
won’t leave streaks and won’t harm you fingers or fingernails while you
13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and
slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and
markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!(Sure wish I had this
information when my daughter was 3.)
In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned in any circumstance. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It’s funny, as well as informative, and proves that one still has to use common sense and put things in context when interpreting any religious text:
Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination … End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God’s Laws and how to follow them.
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness – Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I’m confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.
Your adoring fan.
(It would be a damn shame if we couldn’t own a Canadian 🙂